• 2 1/2 cups Water
• 3 tbsp Milk
• 4 cups sugar
1. Mix half of the water with the milk and divide this mixture into five equal portions.
2. Dissolve the sugar in the remaining water in a pan and bring it to boil.
3. Now lower the heat to moderate. After this first boiling add one of the five reserved mixtures to the boiling sugar and mix well.
4. Discard any scum from the top.
5. Boil up again and add the second portion. Discard the scum again and repeat the process with next two portions.
6. Use the fifth portion to clean down the sides of the pan. Now the clear syrup is ready to use in most sweets.
7. The next stage is one string syrup. To achieve this, keep boiling the syrup until a drop of syrup leaves one string between your thumb and finger. Continue to boil for two, three or four strings.